Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Cat...Girl's Best Friend or Evil Genius?


‘Twas was a cold night in December, when all through the May house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse…

You know why? It was the night the feistiest cat in the world came into my life. 

Striking a pose
My mother and I rescued Sassi May, my beautiful gray tabby, during the Great OKC Ice Storm of 2007. My mom went out the back door to look at the blankets of ice covering our yard, when she heard a soft meowing. There on the back porch, was the cutest little kitten she had ever seen. 

What a cutie!

The poor kitten had icicles on her whiskers. So naturally, my mom had no choice but to bring her inside. The moment I laid eyes on that sweet baby’s face, it was love.

Baby face
I swear the mushiness stops here. For as the ice began to melt away, so did the kitten’s sweet nature. It didn't take very long for my family to realize this cat had an attitude, hence the name Sassi.

There's a monster in my bed!
This cat will roll over at your feet, a trick we have termed “playing cute”. And as soon as you lean over to pet the little darling…SMACK! She will slap you with her paw and run down the hallway like a maniac. You’re probably thinking that’s playful and cute. Well, you’re wrong. This kitty has a mean set of claws.

She only looks friendly
This cat knows every cute trick in the book. In the mornings, I usually enjoy a nice bowl of cereal, until I feel a tiny paw prodding my leg. I always look down and see Sassi staring at me with these big “please love me” eyes and I lose my nerve. My voice takes on this creepy, high-pitched squeaky tone and I baby talk myself into madness. As soon as I get up to get my sweet baby a treat, I return to find her on the kitchen table, drinking my milk. 

This cat truly believes she is queen of the house. No one in my family gets to sleep the night through. Sassi will wait until all the lights in our house are turned off, gives us a good half hour to fall asleep, and scratches on the window screen to wake someone up to let her in. This occurs approximately three or four times a night, which makes me thankful I don’t live at home anymore. When I do come home, I startle her when she's sleeping, just so she knows how it feels. After all, I have to keep some semblance of authority.

The fur donut
Sassi may sound like a conniving little fiend, but every time I look into her eyes, I see that helpless little kitten with the icicles on her whiskers. And who could possibly resist that?

Mommy's little angel

2 comments:

  1. Is she a nicer recreation of Harriet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but it doesn't take much to be nicer than Harriet was.

    ReplyDelete